- Soup is one of the oldest, most nutritious, varied and international of dishes.
- Soups can help to stretch your food budget by using perfectly good leftover foods in a new tasty dish.
- A cup of soup makes a delicious, nutritious snack.
- A cup or bowl of soup plus a sandwich or salad makes a light meal.
- In a hurry? Use your favourite condensed soup. Add extra frozen or canned vegetables and leftover cooked meat or cooked dry beans.
- Ingredients for soup can include foods from several of the food groups.
- Soups can provide high quality protein, fiber, and vitamins needed for good health.
- Homemade soups can be lower in salt than canned soups if you use herbs for flavouring instead of salt.
- Try your soups as starters, main dishes and side dishes with a healthy home-made salad.
- If you won’t be eating the soup right after you have prepared it, or you have leftover soup, chill by setting pot of hot soup in a sink filled with ice and water. Stir often until soup stops steaming. Put soup in smaller containers and store in refrigerator right away. Use within 3-4 days.
- Freeze soup for longer storage. Leave 2-3 cm head space at top of container, because liquids expand as they freeze. Seal and label with relevant information.
- Thaw frozen soups in the refrigerator or microwave. Do not thaw on the kitchen counter.
- To reheat soup, cook over low heat to a boil. Add water if the soup is too thick.
- Garnishes greatly enhance the appearance and taste of a soup – particularly if you insist on using instant and canned soups. Apart from herbs and spices try the following:
– Crisp bacon: remove the rind, cut the bacon into small pieces and fry until crisp. This is delicious on bean, tomato and potato soups.
– Crisp fried onion rings for flavour and texture.
– Add a dollop of yogurt, cream or sour cream just before serving.
– Serve crushed ice in cold soups.
– Grated cheese – cheddar, Parmesan or blue cheese – can change the character of your soup dramatically.
Garnishes will make your soup look beautiful, and the perfect garnish will add a whole new dimension to each mouthful. It does wonders for any kind of soup.