On our list of favourite flavour combinations the combination of corn + chives + cilantro + sweet peppers features prominently. This recipe is especially good when made with freshly harvested sweet corn and vine ripened sweet peppers from the food garden.
This easy corn salad recipe is a must when you are having a “braai”. It is simple to make and goes well with any type of meat. I prefer it with chicken or lamb.
- 6 medium corn cobs (leaves removed)
- 20g butter for rubbing
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chives finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 red pepper, de-seeded, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Rub each corn cob with butter.
- Roast the corn on an open fire or grill for approximately 10-15 minutes turning regularly.
- Remove the corn from the heat and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile take a mixing bowl and combine the mayonnaise and yogurt together.
- Add the chopped chives, cilantro, and cayenne.
- Use a knife and remove the corn from the cob.
- Add the corn to the mayonnaise mixture, and mix.
- Add the chopped red pepper, lemon juice, salt, pepper, and mix.
- Serve cold.
Tip: Your grill or fire can be hot, just make sure you turn the corn regularly so that it doesn’t burn, but still obtains some grill marks, which adds great flavour.