This mild but addictive zesty tomato salsa is low in kilojoules and loaded with healthy phyto-nutrients and lycopene. Various studies revealed that men that eat lots of tomatoes had a greatly reduced risk of prostate cancer due to the lycopene in tomatoes.
This tomato salsa is a delicious match with any braai meal, it also adds a bright note to any Mexican dish.
I prefer to use ripe (red) Jalapeno peppers but you can use any chili pepper you like. And if you don’t have fresh peppers, dried peppers will do just as well.
- 3 - 4 ripe tomatoes (preferable vine ripened), diced
- 4 spring onions, sliced finely
- ½ cup cilantro (fresh coriander leaves, aka danja or dhania), chopped
- ¼ cup fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh chives, finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon coriander seed, ground
- ½ teaspoon cumin, ground
- ¼ cup lime juice (or lemon juice)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- Cilantro to garnish
- Mix all the ingredients in a small serving bowl.
- Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Refrigerate for 30 to 60 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro just before serving.